Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Nathan's Race Report


Pre Race –

Devin and I woke up about 4:30 am to get ready.  We ate bagels with cream cheese.  We met the family in the lobby and walked over to T1 with Stephen to get the bikes ready.  It was very damp outside and the bikes were all wet.  We got the bikes ready and walked back to the condo.  We had a little time to relax and get ready for the swim.  We got our wetsuits on and walked down to the lobby at 6:30 to meet the family at Hollie and Ryan’s room.  We walked up the beach to the race start and joined the other 2500 athletes on the beach.

Swim –
We took a couple pictures and then we  got into our own little zones after the Pros started.  Adam and I walked toward the water into the front half of the pack.  I didn’t want to start at the back because I was hoping for a good swim and didn’t want to get stuck.  The cannon went off and I me and Adam took off.  The first length was crowded and a fight, but I was able to find swimming room most of the time.  I made the turn and then the next turn and seemed like the current was pushing me pretty good.  I got out of the first lap at about 32 minutes.  It took me about 4 minutes to get out of the water run across the timing mat and get back to swimming.  The second lap was less crowded, but harder.  I seemed to have more people crowd my swimming area and just annoy me.  The swim went as good I could have expected.  I was out of the water at 1:08 and across the T1 sensor at 1:09. 

T-1 –
T1 went good.  The wetsuit stripper was helpful, but got sand EVERYWHERE!  I picked up my bag and ran to the changing area.  I sat down and started to change when I realized I had sand all over me and didn’t want sand in my bike shorts.  I used some water and a towel and got as much of the sand of that I could.  I exited T1 and ran the ¼ mile to my bike.

Bike –
The bike was great.  My heart rate was high for the first few miles, so I took it easy and got it down into the 140s.  Then I got in my grove and pedaled.  I stuck to my nutrition plan of drink Perform every 15 minutes and eating every other 15 minutes.  I was able to get down about 300 calories per hour and felt good on the bike.  Ryan pasted me at about mile 18 (I think).  The 10 miles of out and back were horrible.  The road was bad and really crowed with people trying to find a smooth place to ride.  The rest of the ride to mile 95 was pleasant and went relatively quick.  The last 10 or so miles into the wind were not fun.  I seemed to not be going anywhere but pressed on.  The ride came to an end and it was off to the dreaded run.


T2 –
T2 went fast (for me).  I changed into my running gear and I lost my belt with bib number in the change.  As I exited T2 I realized my bib was missing, but there was no way I was going back to find it. Turns out it was with my bike gear.  I exited T2 feeling good knowing Ryan was only seconds behind me.

Run –
What can I say?  I am not a runner and it showed.  I was moving pretty good for the first few miles.  Ryan caught me about mile 2 and Adam caught me about mile 3 or so.  I kept plugging along at my walk/jog pace.  As I came out of the state park area, I saw Stephen and Dad.  Then I was back into the housing area to see Hollie, Ethan and Devin.  Seeing everyone was a nice break mentally from the reality I was living.  Past Adam and Ryan then hit the turn around.  I changed my socks, but forgot to lube my feet.  I took off and was feeling tired.  I stepped on a road reflector and tweaked my back.  As the miles went on my back and feet started hurting more and more.  I kept moving and counting down the miles.  I past Ethan and Hollie with about 5 miles left and passed Devin with about 3 miles.  Stephen caught me at about mile 25 and we decided to finish together.   Coming down the finishers shoot was great.  What an amazing feeling to complete and Ironman.

2 comments:

  1. Nice report, your HR was high on the ride, but you had a great ride. Looks like you might have dehydrated a bit, HR got high in the middle of the ride and stayed high anytime you tried running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - Are you Nathan Kaas Bib # 1856 from IMOO 2016? If so, could you please contact me at mlmcdaniel08@gmail.com. I have a friend who you helped on the bike course that wants to find you!

    ReplyDelete